Daniel Bochsler - Curriculum vitae
||Habilitation, University of Zurich, Faculty of Arts,
venia legendi ‘Political Science’
PhD, University of Geneva
PhD thesis: Resolving the puzzle of party systems in Central and Eastern Europe:
The joint impact of party nationalisation and electoral systems
- Pascal Sciarini (thesis supervisor)
- Eugène Horber
- Simon Hug
- Jan-Erik Lane
- Rein Taagepera
Visiting scholar at the University of Tartu (2006), the University of California at Irvine (2006-2007) and the Central European University (2007).
||Master degree (Lizentiat) in social sciences (subjects: political science, journalism and constitutional law) at the University of Bern. Studied 1998-2003 in Bern and Fribourg (Switzerland) and Bologna (Italy).
MA dissertation: Comparative study about electoral systems in Swiss cantons and in Bosnia-Herzegovina and the way to enforce moderate forces through electoral engineering in a multi-ethnic state, using a own simulation model >> more
||Diploma in journalism at the University of Fribourg (Switzerland)
||Associate Professor of Political Science, University of Copenhagen
||Assistant Professor in Comparative Politics (Democratisation), NCCR Democracy, University of Zurich
||Post-doctoral research fellow at the Center for the Study of Imperfections in Democracies (DISC), Central European University, Budapest
Lecturer (Oberassistent) at the University of Zurich in political science, chair for methodology: Substitute lecturer for the courses at the vacant chair of methodology
Research assistant at the University of Zurich in political science
Project on the political effect of referendums, Director: Prof. Simon Hug
||Assistant at the University of Geneva in political science
| 2002-2004, 2005
||Research assistant at the Graduate Institute of Public Administration (Idheap).
Research on the Swiss federalism (BADAC), on the Costs of Federalism (ICCA), on the Geneva parliament, and on concordance in the Swiss national and cantonal governments
See separate sites for teaching experience, publications, and research projects.
- Universidad Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona
- European University Institute, Fiesole
- University of Belgrade, Faculty of political science
- University of Tartu (Estonia), Department of Political Science
- University of California at Irvine, Centre for the Study of Democracy
- Central European University, Budapest, Dept. of Political Science
- American Political Science Association, Section on ‘Representation and Electoral Systems’, Lawrence Longley Awards committee (2015)
- NCCR Democracy, Board of Directors (2013-)
- Working group "Representation and Political Behaviour" of the Swiss Political Science Association, co-chair (2011-)
Communication with the public
Numerous interventions and self-authored articles in the media.
Counselling and expert hearings
- Basel-Stadt, cantonal parliament, parliamentary committee for Justice, Security and Sports, hearing on a proposition for a reform of the election law, 8 December 2015.
- Appenzell Ausserrhoden, Hearing organised by all opposition parties on electoral reforms, Herisau. 27 May 2015.
- Valais, cantonal parliament, parliamentary committee R21 (dealing with institutional reforms), 1 December 2014.
- Basel-Stadt, cantonal parliament, parliamentary committee dealing with rules for the election of parliamentary committees, hearing on bi-proportional election systems, 22 February 2011.
- "Kako obezbijediti zastupljenost narodâ bez diskriminacije: ideje za reformu izbornog sistema." (How to guarantee a non-discriminatory representation of all constituent ethnic groups: reform ideas for the electoral system of the Bosnian presidency.)
(Talk given to a Delegation of the Bosnian parliament, invited by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, Sarajevo, 15-16 March 2010, subsequently published in Ethnopolitics, 2012).
- Geneva cantonal parliament, parliamentary committee on legal issues, hearing on modifications of the electoral system, 9 November 2007.
- German (native)
- learning: Albanian, Danish